Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 11, 2014

On Truth and Love

Truth and Love

    The noted Beatle philosopher, John Lennon, once quipped, “The more I see, the less I know for sure.” Quantum scientist, Werner Heisenberg, quantified that idea with his Uncertainty Principle that states, in essence, that the very act of observing disturbs the system being observed, so that its exact properties can never be known.
    What then is truth? For each of us, truth is what we perceive it to be, and no two people perceive it the same. Thus perception is reality for anyone, but is it really truth?
    Goodreads.com lists 454 quotations on perception. Here are a few.
    Jonathan Safran Foer in his novel, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close,: “Songs are as sad as the listener.”
    Edgar Allan Poe: “All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.” Of course, not many may claim perceptions similar to the extraordinary Poe.
    The German philosopher, Arthur Schopenhauer: “Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” I think we can, in the spirit of equality, expand that observation to include women.
    Eighteenth century Scottish philosopher, David Hume, is considered by the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy to be “the most important philosopher ever to write in English.” I love his perspective on the subject—“Each mind perceives a different beauty.”

    Is there any wonder that discrepancies arise over the seemingly most simple matters, let alone those of great consequence? Science fiction writer, Philip K. Dick, warned, “. . . if subjective worlds are perceived too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication . . .” As a long-married man, I can attest to the truth in that.

    But, surely there is a real, immutable truth, a physical reality that stands outside of human perception—or is there? Albert Einstein said, “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    If a single “correct” version of truth exists, how are we ever to recognize it? Author Anais Nin put it this way, “We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.”
    But wait; it gets worse. Christof Koch reported on a structured study of the issue in the 8/9/10 (cool date, no?) volume of Scientific American magazine. “Our perception of the world, though relatively stable, is not static . . . our awareness is informed . . . by any number of transient factors—our strength and energy levels, our sense of confidence, our fears and desires. Being human means seeing the world through our own, constantly shifting lens. We are incapable of being fully objective.” (Italics, mine.)
    I devoted many years of my life to scientific study and research, both in academia and in the more practically or commercially directed practice of industrial R&D. I have discovered new “truths” and contributed that knowledge to the scientific and patent literature. Yet, with Lennon, I always felt that the more I learned, the less I knew. This feeling of ambiguity is not restricted to my understanding of the physical world but extends to more esoteric and metaphysical concepts, as I express in my poem,
No Ordinary Fish (from Another Season Spent).

I caught a fish the other day.
Glancing down I perceived it dimly
through rippled waters
wagging its tail at me.
Odd, I thought—this fish
acknowledges my presence
but does not dart into the depths.
And so I reached down
with my left hand and grasped it

expecting now for sure that it would
squirm away and leave me foolish,
empty handed.
But no, this cold creature did not
twist or fight as all fish do
when I lifted it dripping from the water
and held it in my two hands
beheld it face to face, dumbfounded.

This is no ordinary walleye, I said,
as the fish looked me in the eye
raised one brow quizzically and blew
me a fish kiss. Well I’ll be damned!
So when it spoke I hardly flinched:
My name is Pythia, it said, through bubble lips
but you can call me Scales.
I have the answers you have been searching for.

The answers?

Yes. It flipped its tail impatiently.
So ask away, I haven’t got all day.

But I don’t know where to start.

So what?
You never did.

Then I pondered on the expanding universe,
(or is it universes in the plural)
and how it (or they) came to be.
What would I find beyond the outer edges
of the cosmos, of space and time? And
of the soul—its composition and mortality
the meaning of beauty
the need for evil
how life came to be
collisions of galaxies
the death of the sun
my parent’s graves
my children’s faces
my life
love.

The walleye pursed its lips
but with no other word
it shook its head
and shrugged.
I placed it deep down
into the water
a full arm’s length.
I felt its scales abrade my hand
as it backed off slowly, and
with a sudden silvery burst
I saw it flash away.

No ordinary fish.

    Humorist Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and others) had this take on the question: “There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

    Lest you feel put off or disturbed by the enigmas of a universal truth, let me conclude with another quote from John Lennon:
“All you need is love,
All you need is love,
All you need is love, love
Love is all you need.”



Richard Allen Anderson, ProetryPlace Blog 38 http://richardandersonblogs.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. You went from the extreme far end of explanation (I needed to look up many words) to the simple, wonderful beginning....love. You are a writer who encompasses all thought (or do you?) On my own simple end I say, "you get it!" A very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete